PROVEN EXPERIENCE - THOUGHTFUL LEADERSHIP
Continuing to serve and protect our community with strength, integrity, and transparency
I have consistently defined myself as a public servant…both personally and professionally. As a dedicated husband and father in a blended family with four active kids in the Chesapeake school system, I’ve never witnessed a time in which there was a greater need for strong, experienced, and thoughtful leadership to ensure the successful futures of our children and nation. Whether protecting our youth and citizens as a Special Agent and leader within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or serving our community in various non-profit and appointed leadership roles, I will always stand for what’s right and lead with strength, integrity, and transparency.
Please see below for additional information on my professional background and community involvement. Let’s serve Chesapeake and our school system TOGETHER!!!
On September 30, 2021, I retired from DHS, Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) after nearly 26 years of distinguished service as a Special Agent and leader. I last served as Special Advisor to the Presidentially-appointed Director of DHS Joint Task Force-East in Portsmouth, Virginia where I led strategic planning and coalition building efforts to streamline multi-agency priorities and workforce coordination.
I formerly served for over 9 years as the Assistant Special Agent in Charge responsible for all HSI investigative disciplines and administrative functions in the Norfolk and Richmond, Virginia field offices. In this role, I directed a workforce of over 100 personnel including federal, state, and local task force officers and was accountable for multiple operating budgets with tens of millions of dollars in annual expenditures.
Prior to these assignments, I held other key positions that included serving as Senior Liaison imbedded with the Central Intelligence Agency in Northern Virginia; Special Assistant to the Assistant Director for national security in Washington, D.C.; Section Chief for counterterrorism and national security in Washington, D.C.; and Group Supervisor for national security and public safety in Norfolk, Virginia.
I began my law enforcement career in 1995 as a Special Agent with the legacy Immigration and Naturalization Service in New York City, where I lived and worked during 9/11. In this capacity I not only led various successful investigations, but also served as a firearms instructor, non-deadly force weapons instructor, and member of both the special response team and marine enforcement unit.
I’m currently employed as a Director with Juniper Networks, a global leader in computer networking and security solutions, and I hold a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania.
• Oversaw countless investigations resulting in arrests of U.S. and foreign conspirators and forfeiture of hundreds of millions of dollars for violations of various criminal, national security and cyber-related crimes; including violations of child exploitation, narcotics, firearms, and human trafficking laws.
• Built and nurtured several thriving interagency task forces and led respective executive committees, including a Human Trafficking Task Force, Border Enforcement Security Task Force, High Intensity Drug Trafficking Task Force, and Trade Enforcement Coordination Center. Also served for nearly a decade on on several other leadership boards throughout the region, to include Joint Terrorism Task Force Executive Committees in Norfolk and Richmond; Chief of Police Associations in Hampton Roads and Central Virginia; and the Area Maritime Security Executive Committee in Hampton Roads.
• Directed multi-faceted training and outreach programs for thousands of government and non-government personnel.
• Named Samaritan House’s “Honorary 100th Man” in 2017 and led teams to considerable recognition, including: 2020 White House National HIDTA Award, 50+ U.S. Attorney’s Office Public Service Awards, Attorney General’s Executive Office of the U.S. Attorney Director’s Award, Assistant Attorney General’s Excellence in Investigations Award, Federal Law Enforcement Association National Award, and Motion Picture Association of America Award.
• Spearheaded a DHS-wide effort comprised of senior multi-agency representatives to modernize maritime coordination; including the enhancement of programs, development of requirements, and integration of technologies.
• Represented HSI in various press conferences, media interviews, keynote speaking events and White House National Security Council briefings.
As Ronald Reagan said, "We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone." As a lifelong public servant, I will always continue to faithfully due my part. I've held several key leadership positions within our community as Chair of the Chesapeake Youth Committee, Chair of the Chesapeake Youth Foundation, Vice-President of a special needs organization known as Hope and Happiness (I have a brother with Down Syndrome), and President of the Great Bridge Rotary Club. Currently, I serve on Samaritan House’s Board of Governors and am appointed by Governor Youngkin to serve as the Chair of Virginia's Commission on Human Trafficking Prevention and Survivor Support.
One of my most rewarding experiences and passions was serving as a soccer coach for years throughout our region. There's no greater feeling than crossing paths with my former players, still being referred to as "Coach Mike", and getting those genuine handshakes and hugs like time never passed - many times learning for the first time how I made even the slightest difference in their lives.
Our family attends Point Harbor Church in Western Branch and have been actively supporting the E.W. Chittum Elementary and Jolliff Middle School PTAs for well over a decade.
Join the Campaign
Paid for by Friends of Mike Lamonea